Thursday 15 November 2012

Week One: 12th of November


After reading Topic 1 and Topic 6 my eyes were opened to the contents of each topic. I did not realise there was so many options with library searches! One part of Topic 1 that I enjoyed was that the Primo search engine allows the users to set up personal folders to access research information at a later date. This would have been very useful to me in many of my previous assessments. 
Setting up my blog was something that was quite easy and second nature for me to do. I have had a tumblr account for quite a while for my personal blogging but decided to use the "Blogger" account to try something new.
After looking through the various readings I was quite impressed with a small few of them. The CSU learning skills handout was a very useful document as it was set out in a easy to read way. I like how they used the diagram to illustrate the bits and pieces that make up a essay and also the elements of essay writing that people often forget about. 
Dan Kurland's "What is Critical Thinking?" was also another article I thought to be very interesting and in depth. In his article the section on the three steps or modes of analysis really made sense to me. He talks about the different way of analysis that we have when looking at a text. These include: 
What a text says: restatement.
What a text does: description
and What a text means: Interpretation
Overall Topic 1 was very engaging and a learning experience for me.
When looking over Topic 6 I agreed with many of the articles especially when discussing the use of time management. As teachers, students, librarians we all will need to juggle our busy school and home lifes everyday! Managing the library environment, working on literacy skills and working the library software will all be something that I would need a lot of practice with!



No comments:

Post a Comment